2 California deaths may be due to swine flu; Schwarzenegger declares state of emergency
Two deaths in Southern California may be due to swine flu, according to the Los Angeles County Coroner's office.
The Los Angeles Times reported on its Web site that tests are being conducted and no official cause of death has been determined.
However, a spokesman for the county coroner told the newspaper that the death of a 33-year-old Long Beach man came after he had swine flu symptoms. Doctors disagnosed him with pneumonia.
The second death also involved pneumonia. Doctors said a 45-year-old man from La Mirada died last Wednesday at a hospital in Norwalk, but the county health department refused to sign the death certificate and wanted to investigate further, the newspaper reported.
Meanwhile, the Associated Press reported that Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger declared a state of emergency, setting in motion a series of administrative actions, including ordering all agencies to coordinate with public health officials as needed.
The action also suspends noncompetitive bidding for contracts needed to respond to the outbreak and waives certification requirements for laboratories involved in the testing.
In proclaiming the emergency, Schwarzenegger also cautioned that "there is no need for alarm."
The Republican governor said his priority was to limit the swine flu's spread as quickly as possible.
State health officials so far have confirmed 13 cases of swine flu in California. source And here is yet another link to this story from another source HERE UPDATED X2 Obama requests $1.5 Billion to fight Swine Flu HERE and information on possible vaccine being created HERE
17 hours ago