Sudan says no proof for now Israel behind raids
5 hours ago
KHARTOUM (AFP) — Sudan is investigating the possibility that Israel was behind deadly air strikes this year against suspected Gaza-bound arms convoys, but so far it has found no proof, a government official said.
Foreign ministry spokesman Ali Sadiq said there were two separate bombing raids against smugglers in a remote desert area near the Red Sea town of Port Sudan in January and February, killing about 40 people.
"First we suspected it was the United States, but we received assurances it was not them, and we are investigating other possibilities, including Israel," Sadiq told AFP. "But there is no indication for now that it was Israel."
Original post below:
more on the Sudanese air strike. Implications are made against not only Israel but the USA as well. Wonder what Obama has to say about this?
Israel operating to increase deterrence: PM
JERUSALEM, March 26 (Xinhua) -- Israel's outgoing Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said Thursday that his country is conducting extensive operations in a bid to enhance its deterrence.
"We are operating in every area in which terrorist infrastructures can be struck... We are operating in locations near and far to strengthen and increase deterrence," local news service Ynet quoted Olmert as saying.
"There is no point in elaborating. Everyone can use their imagination. Whoever needs to know knows," the Israeli premier told a conference at the Interdisciplinary Center in Herzliya near Tel Aviv.
The remarks came against the backdrop of a CBS report that Israeli warplanes in January attacked a 17-truck convoy in Sudan "allegedly" loaded with arms that were to be smuggled into the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip.
The Israel Defense Forces have so far remained tight-lipped on the report, which said 39 people were killed in the air raid.
Some Sudanese sources have confirmed the attack, yet it is still unclear who indeed carried out the raid, with one of the Sudanese sources pointing to the United States.
During the final days of the Gaza offensive on the Gaza Strip in December and January, Israel and the United States signed a memorandum aimed to enhance cooperation in this regard.